If you’re considering beginning a podcast, you’re not alone. Over 57% of U.S. consumers tuned in during 2021, and the medium is growing more popular every year. Launching your own might seem daunting, but you don’t need a huge online presence to get started!
Anyone can start their own show, even if they currently lack an online presence. We’ve put together a launch checklist to show you how to start a podcast with no audience. Once you take these small steps needed to get started, you can build your own homegrown audience. And it’s easier than you might think!
If you’re thinking about how to start a podcast with no audience, you need to lay out a solid podcast launch strategy. To make sure you have your bases covered, consider this basic podcast launch checklist:
- Identify your topic
- Identify your target listeners
- Determine length of your show
- Make an upload schedule
- Choose a platform
- Market to your ideal listeners
With this step-by-step guide, you can build a solid foundation for a successful online program. By taking a grassroots approach and targeting exactly who you’re trying to reach, you’ll be able to build and maintain an interactive, like minded community for your show – and keep them coming back for every episode!
Your Complete Podcast Launch Checklist
There are many other facets to building your own show, but these are the basic steps that you need to take to set up a strong foundation for a successful series.
- Identify your topic – If you’ve made it this far, you likely already have a topic in mind. If not, think about what you’re trying to accomplish. Are you trying to inform? Entertain? Start a discussion and create a community? Choosing a topic you are passionate about is always a great idea.
- Identify your target audience – Though you don’t have a following yet, consider what this group looks like. Luckily, we’ve created this quick, 30-minute guide on identifying your target audience. And it’s free!
- Figure out what they want to know – Take the time to research some FAQs on your topic and trending topics within that category. Also consider your own questions on the topic, do some research, and share what you’ve learned! Again, this all depends on the topic that you’ve chosen.
- Determine your upload schedule – Will you be uploading every week? Every month? Decide before you publish your show so that your listeners will know when to come back for your next episode. Consistency is king when working to keep a podcast audience.
- Determine the length – Uniformity in length is also important for gaining regular listeners. If your first episode is 30 minutes, listeners will expect the next one to be, too.
- Choose your platform – Think about storage and bandwidth limits on a platform, how easy it is for you to use, how easy it is for your listeners to use, and its cost. There is no one-size-fits-all, so review your options and think about which platform is the best fit for you!
- Purchase quality gear – The right microphone(s), headsets, and USB interface can make a huge difference in the quality of your recording. If it sounds amature, your chances of attracting an audience are reduced significantly.
Incorporating Marketing Into Your Podcast Launch Strategy
We identified our listeners, and so now we need to reach them. For an introduction on this process, take a second to review our 3 Key Elements in Every Successful Marketing Plan. We review how to really get to know your target audience, and how to use that information to build a marketing strategy. If you’re looking into how to start a podcast with no audience, this step is the most important to take to make sure you’re able to effectively market your show.
An easy method is to submit your show to directories such as Spotify, Google, and Apple. Being a guest on other shows, or having guests on your own show that have followings of their own, is another great way to get your name out there.
You might not know where to start if you want to launch your own show, but it doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task. As with any major project, putting together an outline of points to address will make it infinitely more manageable. Taking basic steps to identify, define, and plan your program will help you hit the ground running, even if you’re trying to start a podcast with no audience.
For more help marketing your idea and reaching your target listener base, check out our Membership! As a Her Brand & Co. member you will have access to everything in our vault. Including easy-to-use, people-based marketing strategies that’ll guide you through your customer outreach. Sign up today!
Found this post helpful?
Subscribe to Her Brand & Co.
Subscribe to our email list so we can send you more blogs, marketing tips, free workshops, masterclasses, and other womenpreneur goodies!